Spinal Cord Injury
Action Potential Rehabilitation is able to offer physiotherapy services for clients who have had a Spinal Cord Injury, whether the injury is a result of:
- Trauma such as a car accident, a war injury, falls, etc.
- Tumours caused by different types of cancers
- Ischemia (cell death by lack of oxygen) caused by atherosclerosis
- Developmental disorders such as spina bifida
- Neurodegenerative diseases such as spinocerebellar ataxia
- Demyelinative diseases such as multiple sclerosis
Physiotherapy treatment will depend on the severity, nature, and location of the injury and the client’s goals.
Physiotherapy interventions maybe needed after a spinal cord injury for assistance with:
- Respiratory care
- Skin care and DVT (blood clot) prevention
- Contracture prevention or treatment
- Sitting balance retraining
- Transfers training
- Resistance (strength) training
- Early standing initiation
- Assessment for equipment, e.g. splints
- Upper extremity (arm) aerobic training
- Walking (gait) training
This website provides general information about our services and various conditions. It is not intended to be used for self-assessment or treatment, and is not a substitute for an individualized treatment plan developed by a registered physiotherapist.